Tuesday, December 14, 2010

OSU Infant Nutrition and Health Study

Lukas is a part of OSU's Infant Nutrition and Health Study in Stillwater, OK. He went for the first time at 3 months and we were just there a few weeks ago for 6 months. He will go back for the last time at 9 months. I found out about the study when I was pregnant and was intrigued by it, so I looked over the information and signed Lukas up. I didn't get any pictures when he was 3 months, but here are some pics from his 6 month appt.

Here he is looking at faces (a picture of a man first, then both a man and woman side by side) on a monitor. I was standing behind him the whole time, I wish I could have seen his face because Stephanie said he was really trying to interact with them and had a confused look on his face as to why they weren't talking or moving. They have him hooked up to measure his heart rate and also have a camera on him to see how he interacts with the screen. He also kept kicking his right foot (which is why it's blurry) I think he liked the sound it made.


The next test was his brain waves, Lukas barely sat still to get all the stuff on, but with the help of some toys to distract him, he was finally ready. They play beeps through the headphones and I was supposed to keep him as still as possible. He did really well for the first 5 minutes or so and then he wanted the stuff off of him, he kept pulling the headphones off. I nursed him to keep him still and then thankfully when he was done, he just laid in my lap. I started kissing his fingers and he just looked up at me and smiled! Melted my heart! Stephanie came in after it was over and she said he was the most calm during that time.

The last test was again in the carseat, but this time they played a loop of babies crying. Lukas kept looking back at me and then looking around then back at me. I joked with his teacher at school that he was looking around for his friends! He did get agitated at the end, and was ready to be done hearing those babies cry (as was I).

I will post more pics when we go back for his 9 month appt. It's been a fun experience so far and I'm looking forward to telling Lukas all about how he is apart of history! :)

No comments: