Friday, November 12, 2010

Lukas Samuel Branson


He's 2 months now, but here is a recap of his birth story:

My last month being pregnant was full of contractions that would be close together and consistant for a time but then all of a sudden stop. I even walked around at 5 centimeters dialated for 2 weeks! The little guy was in NO hurry to join our family, much to my dismay. I was ready for him to show up and stop tricking me!

On September 3rd, I had contractions that were 4-5 minutes apart for over an hour, so we called Chris' parents at 11:00 pm to come stay with Mikah and Gavyn. We got to the hospital at 11:30 and they set up the moniters, which showed contractions every 6-7 minutes, and I was still 5 centimeters dialated. We walked the halls for 30 minutes (contracting the WHOLE time) and got back on the moniters and my contractions had gone to 8 minutes apart and still only at 5 centimeters! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Little stinker! By this time it was 3 am and we were given the option of staying for a few more hours or going home. Chris and I were both exhausted so we opted to go home and try to get some sleep. I was really disappointed and felt bad that we were waking up Chris' parents only to say "False alarm!"

Of course as soon as I got home the contractions started up again. I slept/rested as much as I could and by 6 am the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart, and VERY intense. I was biting my pillow so I wouldn't scream out and wake up Mikah and Gavyn. I woke Chris up saying, "Call your parents." They came back over and we headed back to the hospital with Chris speeding to get there. So glad no cops were out! :)

We got to the hospital around 6:30 and they hooked me up and checked me and I was dialated to an 8. Praise Jesus! Finally we were going to soon be holding our little boy in our arms and on his actual due date no less! We called Randy Coleman (good friend and awesome photographer) and he arrived around 7:15am to start documenting Lukas' birth. The on-call doctor (Dr. Hall) came in around 7:30 and broke my water, by 7:50 I was ready to push, by 8:05 I was pushing and at 8:21on September 4th, Lukas Samuel Branson was born! The cord was wrapped around his neck and Dr. Hall calmly cut the cord and assured me that he was fine. Whew - very scared for a few short minutes! He came out looking around and crying every so often. I think he was glad to finally be able to stretch out! He weighed in at 7 pounds, 15 ounces and was 21 inches long. Randy was in the room taking pictures and I am so thankful that we had him document Lukas' birth. We will treasure the pictures/slideshow for the rest of time! You can see the slideshow on Randy's blog. I have watched it over and over again and cry EVERY SINGLE TIME! Gavyn asks to watch the video with the sweet song when Lukas was born! So cute!

Mikah and Gavyn love him and are great helpers (who I take advantage of when I don't want to get up off the couch)! We are very much blessed!

No comments: