Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Unplanned Surprise = MY TATTOO!!!

Chris, Breanne and John asked me what else I wanted to do while in California, they said I could do whatever I wanted since it was my b-day weekend. I asked, "Can I get a tattoo?" And they said, "Really??? If that's what you want to do then YES!" John called and made an appt with Energy Tattoo in Santa Barbara. So here is the story of the unplanned surprise and some pictures of the process. :)

I have wanted a tattoo for the last couple of years, but always said I was too chicken to get one (and plus didn't know what I wanted to permanently mark my body with). Anyway, Breanne has a beautiful tattoo on her right foot of a swallow and flowers that I fell in love with and I told her that if I ever got a tatto I would go to the place she went to in CA. And so of course that's where we went!
This is a before picture while the artist was setting up her station. I was a nervous wreck and really I hate the picture, but it shows how worried I was so I am including it!

Here is the story behind the "why" of my tattoo:

Last July, Chris and I went in for a 20 week ultrasound and found out our 3rd baby no longer had a heartbeat. We were heartbroken. I delivered on a Wednesday (hardest thing I have ever gone through) and we found out our baby was a boy. We named him Isaiah, it fit, for some reason it felt right (Isaiah was actually the boy name we had picked out for Gavyn if she had been a boy and my mom was the one who reminded us of the name).

I didn't want to go to church the following weekend, I would have much rather sat at home and cried. But everyone encouraged us to go and I'm so glad we did. The worship set that weekend (Trent Austin did/does an amazing job) felt like it was put together just for us and then the sermon comforted, impacted and helped Chris and I through our grief.

Our pastor Craig Groeschel was in the middle of our "At The Movies" series and he had PRE-PRODUCED a message on the movie We Are Marshall, which dealt with loss. (Side note: Chris' sister actually graduated from Marshall University in May 2008.) He quoted the following verses from Isaiah 61:1-3

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.

2 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn.

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.

It blows me away how everything seemed like a coincidence at the time, but in actuality it was God orchestrating everything for His purpose and glory.

Back around Oct/Nov last year a thought popped into my head, I know what tattoo I would get if I ever get one. I wanted a bird, flowers and the Isaiah scripture reference. The only thing was when was I ever going to be in CA???

And so here I was in CA, and I wasn't going to let this chance slip away.

I told Nic what I wanted and she drew it up.

All outlined and ready for some color!


This is what my face looked like while she was doing the outside of my foot, it hurt and tickled at the same time. Weirdest feeling in the world. Chris got a kick out of taking pictures of all my wacky faces, this is the only one that will be making an appearance for others to see.

Most of the color has been added, almost done.


I had to hold my leg to keep it from going crazy, it was periodically spazzing out and jerking. Thankfully Nic has a steady hand and I don't have any random lines sticking out anywhere.

The finished project, a little bloody, red and swollen!

It took 2 hours and yes it hurt! I love how it turned out. The colors, design, meaning, everything. Every time I look down at my foot, it's a reminder that Isaiah is with Jesus and that God has carried us through and will continue no matter what happens.

5 comments:

Jenny Roby said...

I LOVE this! When I saw your twitpic I cried cause I knew what a significance it had. So precious!

Kristen and Dave said...

gorgeous! great choice, Lisa!

The Fox Den said...

Beautiful dedication. I can't wait to meet my little nephew one day. You are wonderful!

The Osborne's said...

Go girl! Beautiful tattoo!

...Alison said...

The pictures show so much - and the nervous picture takes the cake! That would have been me too, I love it. I love the tattoo too and thanks for sharing the whole story behind it. I didn't know some of that.